Thursday, May 6, 2010

Claudia is close to two and a half years old.

She is still in her crib. She has never attempted to climb out. She seems like her crib just fine. We had gotten a new crib for Cole so there was never a hurry to move her out.

But, being that we are moving into potty training, being that she IS two and a half, it is probably time to convert her crib into the toddler bed. Basically, we just have to take off one side of the crib and attach the toddler rails.

But that crib? I put that crib together 4 years ago this month. The crib that Craig and I sat downstairs, in front of the TV, putting together. Then, we carried it upstairs and tried to move it into Curtis' room. Didn't work out so well, it wouldn't fit through the doorway. We had to take it apart and put it back together again. Talk about a pain.

That crib should have been taken apart a long time ago. But the baby it was put together for never came home to sleep in the crib. So, I am a bit misty eyed at the thought of disassembling it, even if it is just to convert it. It is time, I know it is. But the time for it is just coming at a hard time. Right at the 4 year mark of Curtis' birth.

It is just a crib, but it is a lot of memories. Putting it together for Curtis (and taking it apart and BACK together for him)...it is taking off the bedding I bought for Curtis and putting on the bedding I bought for Claudia. Claudia laying in it for the first time. HOw amazing and tragic all at the same time. I am so thankful she has outgrown it, because Curtis never had that chance. But it is so bittersweet. Never will that crib be prepped for one of my little babies. I am taking that crib and turning it into a big girl bed and, quite frankly, it bums me the heck out.

1 comment:

Hope's Mama said...

Angus is almost six months old and he only went in his cot (crib) for the first time at four and a half months, so not that long ago. It was such a triumphant moment, but also just so....... sad. That cot was set up for the sister who never was. I never took it down either. It sat there, for almost two years totally unused and broke my heart each and every time I looked at it.
I'll feel the same sort of melancholy when I go to take it down I think.